If someone would have asked me this question a week ago, I would have definitely answered, hell no – you cannot date a younger man. I can’t even find guys my age who can handle me. How could I ever expect a younger guy to keep up?! But the other night, something happened to make me think that maybe, just maybe, I should start considering younger guys…
Last Saturday, my friend and I were out in Del Mar (my soon to be home) when I spotted this super cute/so my type guy from across the bar. Seeing as how it has been months since I have even found a guy attractive, I knew I had to talk to him – immediately. So I walked up to this tall, blonde, surfer and started chatting him and his friends up.
I liked him instantly. He was funny, outgoing, and personable. I quickly learned that he was a local San Diegan, went to a good college, and came from a good neighborhood. In fact, if he hadn’t informed me that he was moving to Australia in a few weeks, I would have thought he was total dating material.
After I’d been hanging with him and his friends for a couple of hours, one of them mentioned something about “just graduating.” Oh hell… I was praying that he was referring to graduating from grad school, but nope, this beautiful guy was only 22. A whopping 4 years younger than my soon to be 26 ass.
Normally, I would have just walked away then, cursing my old age and my financial security. But on this occasion, I decided that since I had already determined he was un-dateable, I might as well keep hanging out with him. Age doesn’t matter when you are making out, right?
So we hung out until the bar closed and then we all decided to after-party. Usually, I refuse post-bar parties (mama needs her beauty rest) but this guy’s energy was infectious and, frankly, I was practically high off attraction. So along I went, and I ended up having a blast. Like maybe one of the best make out sessions I’ve ever had (and I’ve had a lot). When I woke up the next morning I was forced to realize that perhaps younger guys aren’t so bad. In fact, in some ways, they kinda make a lot a sense. Here’s why…
Reasons to date a younger man
- They are hot - Think wrinkle free and tight bodies, this 22 year old was a treat for the eyes. When you don’t have a real job and you have plenty of time to surf and play, it definitely shows.
- They don’t get intimidated - If you go young enough, they don’t consider themselves on the same playing field as you, so your success isn’t a threat to them. They can tell themselves that they’ll probably have an even higher title or make even more money than you do, by the time they get to that age.
- They have lots of energy - Generally speaking I’m in bed by 10. On a late night at the bars, I can usually make it until 1:30….maybe. But these guys, they don’t have to get up at 5 AM during the week to work, and their young bodies can run off 3 hours of sleep. The good news – this energy is contagious. I was up until 4 AM last weekend, and I didn’t even need a 5 hour energy. Miraculous.
- They make you feel young – Along the same lines, these guys’ youthful behavior appeared to rub off on me as well. Hearing the way they talked about their “summer break” and watching the way they interacted with each other, took me right back to when I was 22 and hanging out with my guy friends. I swear, for a moment, I actually felt like I went back in time. And while I am generally happy with the ways in which I have matured in the past 4 years, it was darn fun to feel like a young naive girl again without a care in the world.
- They are less scarred – Sure some of them may have had some pretty serious girlfriends in HS or college, but let’s be real, the damage doesn’t get serious until you get older. Plus, they have likely had less relationships overall, which means that the overall bitterness that builds up in all of us singles over time, is less in these young bucks.
- They may or may not live at their parents’ super nice house – Post party in a small, dirty apartment that smells like dogs or in an estate in Rancho Santa Fe complete with horses, pools and jacuzzis? Yea, not a tough call…I had forgotten how nice parents’ houses can be. Especially when they parentals are gone and the home is stocked with food and alcohol. And the next morning when you both wake up and neither of you have a car? No prob, you can take the parent’s benz, porsche or truck to get back to the bars. Super convenient.
- They think older girls are awesome – While we may be a little self conscious about our crows feet and our general oldness, younger guys seem to be quite enamored by the idea of an older girl. Apparently impressing us is a challenge, and we all know how much guys like a challenge.
So there you have it, the reasons you may want to consider a younger man. Now I’m not saying I am going to go out and pursue younger men from now on. I am positive there are plenty of things about actually dating one of these tikes that would drive me nuts. I am simply saying that perhaps younger men are underated and should be included in the consideration set. If nothing else, you may just have one of the best make out sessions of your life…