So last Thursday I had this absolutely fabulous date where this darling lifeguard spent hours telling me how fabulous I am. I came home feeling oh-so-happy, and a little scared because it has been a long time since I have had a date that I had that much fun on. When I woke up the next morning, I had a text from him. Nice, I thought. Then later that night, he called me. We had a flirty little chat, that went well but he did call me out on something stupid I had said during our date. Ironic, since I wrote a post on what NOT to say the night before meeting him. What can I say – word vom. But in any case, he told me he didn’t care, and that he had a blast and that he would be keeping his eye out for a cute girl running around the bay. (Clearly, he’s never seen me run…). I cut the call a little short because I was out buying wine with the roomie, and he ended it with, “Ok , talk to you later.”
So, um, when exactly is later? Because that was Friday night and this is Tuesday and I still haven’t heard a peep. I have spent a good portion of the last four days wondering – why hasn’t he called??
The answers I’ve come up with are as follows.
- He fell into a well
- He’s a Sven
- I gave him strepp throat – possible since I now have it
- He got lazy – my guy friends claim this is the number one reason they don’t call girls they think are cute
- He met another girl on Saturday who is even more awesome than I am (impossible! I know…)
- When he said he didn’t care about the dumb thing I said, he actually really did
- He did text, but my phone hates him and deleted it. (Normally I am not dumb enough to think this is a possibility but I never got the first text that he swears he sent. Luckily, he emailed me to follow up that time).
- He’s still planning on calling, but he’s just waiting because he doesn’t want to come on to strong
- He’s drunk and/or stoned
- He’s afraid I don’t like him because my guard was a little up on Thurs, or because I cut our call short on Friday
- He actually didn’t like me all that much and he was just trying to get into my pants- #fail!
- He hates planning (he told me this) so he’s just going to call me one random day when he is free. (Note, I love planning. Planning is my bestie).
- He really did like me that much that night, but forgot about it the next day
- He got caught for breaking us into the lifeguard tower to watch the waves and now he’s in jail
- He actually DID see me running over the weekend and decided he could not date such a sweaty mess
That’s all I’ve got. As you can see, I’ve put in quite a bit of thought about this (partly because I have been home sick and am bored out of my mind…) But the real question isn’t, why hasn’t he called, but what am I going to do about it. Do I call him? Text him? Egg his house?
Anyone who knows me will tell you I am not an old-fashioned girl. I’ll approach a guy in a bar, I’ll hit on guys via Facebook, and I have certainly done my fair share of calling in the past. But I also know that, most of the time, guys are turned off by girls who pursue them. Especially a guy like this – good looking, cocky, etc. I am sure he gets pursued often, and I don’t want to fall into that category. But am I OK with just doing nothing and never hearing from him again? I don’t know.
I like the idea of doing nothing bc A. I don’t have to put myself out there and B. I really do believe that if he liked me enough, he’d be calling me – even if he did fall into a well. Maybe it is unrealistic, but I want to date a guy who is so smitten with me that I don’t have to pursue him. That’s how it was with Mr. Not Quite Right. I don’t think a day went by after we met that I didn’t hear from him and I absolutely loved that security. So if this guy isn’t all that smitten with me, do I really want to force it on him? What’s wrong with him that he can’t see a catch when it is right in front of him? And if I go with this option then I already know I have my little kickball cutie to distract me come next Friday (although he is someone I know I have zero future with).
But doing nothing is SO not my style. When I want a new watch – I go buy it. When I want a better job title – I go get it. I am a doer, always have been, and I believe we make our own destiny. So would it be so bad for me to send him a text? Or maybe just pick up the phone and call? Am I really ready to just throw in the towel on someone I thought had actual potential? It’s a tough call (get the pun?!).
So readers, I am opening it up to you. Tell me why you think he hasn’t called and/or what you think I should do about it. I feel like this is one of those times that I just can’t make up my own mind and I would much appreciate someone making it up for me. Best suggestion wins my eternal gratitude. Please and thanks.